HOME > For Current Students:


Procedures for Immigration Services


Procedures for Immigration Services

Status of Residence

The status of residence is a qualification granted to foreign nationals according to the purpose of their entry to and stay in Japan. Foreign nationals may engage in activities within the scope of the status of residence and period of stay permitted to them.


Residence Card

A residence card is issued to foreign nationals who will reside in Japan mid to long-term (more than 3 months). Therefore, the residence card issued by the Minister of Justice serves as a "certificate" certifying that the individual legally resides in Japan with a status of residence and period of stay that allows a mid to long-term stay in Japan.
The residence card contains important information that the Minister of Justice needs to keep records on, such as name, date of birth, sex, nationality/region, address, status of residence, period of stay, and eligibility for employment. If there is a change in this information, the individual is obligated to provide notification of this change to reflect the latest information.
 Foreign residents must carry their residence card with them at all times, and you are required to present it on requent to an immigration officer, immigration control officer, police officer, or other official. You may be subject to a fine of up to 200,000 yen if you are not in possession of your residence card. If you do not comply to the request to present it, you may be subject to imprisonment for up to one year or a fine of up to 200,000 yen.
If your port of entry is either at Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Chubu Airport, Kansai Airport, New Chitose Airport, Hiroshima Airport, or Fukuoka Airport, you will receive your Residence Card at the airport. However, if your port of entry is neither of the port mentioned above, your Residence Card will be delivered to your house by mail after you submit a moving-in notification to the municipal office in Kochi.


Certificate of Eligibility

International students require a “Certificate of Eligibility” to apply for a “Student” visa at Japanese Embassy or Consulate in their home country to enter Japan. Please contact the international office at the campus where you will study to obtain a certificate of eligibility.

Required Documents

  1. Application for Certificate of Eligibility
  2. Copy of acceptance letter
  3. Documents indicating the content of your studies
  4. Copy of Passport
  5. Financial statement (proof of funds)


Notification of transfer to a new organization

International students who enter/transfer from other universities/schools inside Japan are required to submit a “Notification of the Accepting Organization” to the Immigration Bureau within 14 days of moving. Please complete this procedure by yourself.


Extension of Period of Stay

Those who wish to extend the period of residence must apply for an extension of period of stay. Applications are accepted three months before the expiration of your period of stay. Please contact the office of each campus in charge of international students to prepare the necessary documents and make sure to apply before the expiration date.

Required Documents

  1. Application form for Extension of Period of Stay (Forms are available at the Bureau or on the Bureau website.)
  2. Certificate of Enrollment
  3. Documents indicating the content of your studies
  4. Passport
  5. Residence Card
  6. Financial statement
  7. Application fee of ¥4,000
    You may be requested to submit additional documents.


Procedure for Re-entry Permission

If a foreign national residing in Japan leaves Japan without receiving a re-entry permit (including a special re-entry permit), the foreign national's status of residence and period of stay will be terminated. Therefore, international students who intend to temporarily return to their home country or to travel to a third country must receive a re-entry permit (including a special re-entry permit) before leaving Japan.

There are two types of re-entry permit: “Single” permit that is valid only once and “Multiple” permit that can be used multiple times within the current permitted period of stay.

Required Documents

  1. Application for Re-entry Permit
  2. Passport
  3. Residence card
  4. Fee (Single entry: 3,000 yen, Multiple entry: 6,000 yen)


※Special re-entry permit
International students in possession of a valid passport and a residence card who will re-enter Japan within 1 year of their departure and before the expiration of their period of stay to continue their activities in Japan are not required to obtain a re-entry permit.

At the airport before leaving the country, you will need to fill out the Embarkation and Disembarkation Card for Reentrants and hand it to the immigration officer. These cards are available in the area directly before the immigration gate.


Permission for Activities Not Allowed Under “Student” Status (Part-time work)

International students residing in Japan with a status of “Student” are not permitted to work. Hence, students who want to engage in part-time work must apply for and obtain “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”.

Required Documents

  1. Application Form (Forms are available at the Immigrant Bureau or on the Immigrant Bureau website.)
  2. Passport
  3. Residence Card
    *Above permission is not necessary when you are employed as a Teaching Assistant or a Research Assistant by Kochi University.

Number of hours permitted and prohibited jobs

The number of hours permitted will be a maximum of 28 hours per week (8 hours per day during summer, winter and spring vacation periods specified by Kochi University).
The job must not be related to the adult entertainment industry such as pachinko, mah-jong, cabaret clubs, host and hostess clubs, and sex work.


“Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” may be required to participate in internships. Please ensure you apply for it if required.


Status of residence after graduation

It is important to change the status of residence as required to stay in Japan after graduation.

  1. Proceeding to higher education
    International students need to notify the immigration office of the change of place of study.

  2. Job seeking after graduation
    International students who want to continue looking for work after graduation need to change their visa status to “Designated activities (to continue seeking employment)”.
    Please contact the international office at each campus to inquire about procedures.

  3. Commencement of work
    International students must apply for a new status of residence which is applicable for the profession they enter before they start working.